For my communication class.

Well, my Professional Presentation of Self is well underway! …sort of. Ok, I’m still working on the cover design. It’s a start. I’ll probably have about half of it done later tonight, my main concern is my indecision about how I’ll approach the form this stylebook is going to take. Prepare for some more boring indecisive rambling about how I’m gonna do this (I PROMISE TO STOP).
Let me straighten out my extremely professional crumpled piece of notebook paper, and talk about the possibilities until I end up arguing with myself about what I really want to do.
Option A:
AKA “The Original”
Just a really nice, expensive coffee table book.
PROS:
….mmm glossy pages
I kind of think once you have a coffee table book it means you are immediately more impressive and pretentious (wow, is this really a pro?)
CONS:
Exactly the kind of crap no one cares about.
The whole “expensive” part, my budget is…$-10.
Boringgggg
Boorrrrinngngngjsdfkdfj

Option B:
Cards shaped like magnolia petals, possibly on a ring or circle thing (I hate the word “grommet” really bad, sounds like “vomit” and “grouch”), then when you fan them out, it looks like a magnolia or lotus blossom (my personal insignia)
PROS:
Portable
Able to have better quality materials because each “page” is smaller
Cool looking, good if I ever manage to make the magnolia icon official.
CONS:
Admittedly, a bit impractical in the context of this assignment. It’s TOO portable, too cute, too easy to lose.
Not sure how those little metal circle things work. Do I need a machine?

Option C:
A petal/leaf shaped envelope with the leaf shaped pages sitting inside.
PROS:
Cool, without being unnecessarily super unusual (“LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME”)
Self contained
Portable
CONS:
Not sure if I like the envelope concept.

Option D:
A folder with loose papers inside. Might be a trifold, shaped so that when it’s closed, a “crown” of three points resembles a simplified magnolia blossom.
PROS:
Simple, unassuming, but still cool
Professional
Easy to produce

CONS:
…I like this one. No cons for now.

Option E:
A simplified book, kind of like a greeting card, with horizontal orientation, bound by either book tape or ribbon (because it’s pretty!)
PROS: Easy to understand
Fairly simple to produce
Attractive
CONS: A little boring
General apathy towards this idea

Option F:
A slim box with the loose pages inside
PROS: Very very attractive design
Self contained
Impressive
Fairly simple design
CONS: The box (how do I make/find one?)
A little bulky

I can tell I’m already leaning towards the last two. As soon as I finish a few more pages I’ll try to make a final decision.

(word count: 448)

0 comments



Post a Comment