For my communication class.

Before jetting off to the flea market (I assure you I really am a college student, not an old person), I had some time to kill. Instead of working on Photoshop or continuing to scrounge in our somewhat minimalist kitchen for breakfast, I decided to attack my backlog of half finished entries. It’s a pretty unattractive tangle of half finished thoughts, stupid quotes, and green grammar lines. I do manage to record some potential material, though.
The Squiggle model of communication in class was reminding me of something. Also, I forgot the technical name for this model, but..."squiggle model” seems all right to use casually. It haunted me for a bit, and I was wondering, “What could this possibly remind me of?” It seemed weird that it would stand out to me. Naturally, I wouldn’t remember until AFTER the assignment, but I was definitely on to something. The something in question was that series of remake movies, Ocean’s Eleven (and twelve, and thirteen). More specifically Ocean’s Thirteen because it’s on cable practically everyday. You’ve probably seen it flipping through channels. People always say it’s the worst in the trilogy. I don’t care. It’s on TV the most. I make no claims to having a good taste in movies, but I really do like O13. It’s very subtly funny, and I do love plans without a hitch. And the plans in Ocean are always very big. So, jet setters, bored genius thieves, ridiculously high stakes, and stylish transitions- I’m in. Despite my failure to find a script, I’m going to attempt some recall. On with my point: throughout the movie, two of the main characters, Danny (George Clooney) and Rusty (Brad Pitt), are often used to segue into a scene. They are shown midway through their unrelated conversations. The lack of context is what makes them so funny to me.

Now I am going to hate them, because I’m going to analyze what on Earth those could mean, by taking the funny out and replacing it with hard cold description. Oh, school, the sacrifices I make for you.




Situation #1:

Theory: Rusty decided his current love interest, who was threatening to change the channel would appreciate him…dropping his towel, in return for the cessation of channel change! (Tongue twister.) Once the remote is dropped, the towel goes back on. Maybe she had said something about wanting him to be more spontaneous recently? In any case, Danny seems unfazed by his friend’s antics. In the same way you get used to a dog that pees everywhere, Danny has gotten used to his friend. (I'm just bitter because MY dog pees everywhere, and coincidentally, his name is Danny). He also seems to think this situation was handled in a typical way. I get the feeling the woman in this equation didn't stay around for very long.

Situation #2:


Theory: Rusty and Danny are good enough friends that they barely need to say anything to understand each other. I’ve been there, it’s nice.




Situation #3:

Theory: …well at the very least, Danny seems a little shocked by the audacity of the pancake on the floor, but then congratulates his friend putting his foot down and taking a stand. (No comment) I don't even know why pancakes would be offensive. And once again, according to Danny, it was handled in the best possible way. Maybe pancakes are Rusty's least favorite food, and Danny feels you have to make a statement to be understood. I…I’m …having trouble with this one, mostly because I’m cackling while ticking away at my keyboard. I’m going to take a break.

0 comments



Post a Comment