For my communication class.

With all these opportunities to meet influential and extremely successful people, adults around me are constantly telling me to network and work on starting “professional relationships”. They tell me to shake hands, state my name, get an in. When I hear this though…I have a few prominent thoughts.


a) What on Earth will that accomplish?
b) It would be good to tell me, oh wise one, what exactly you do after saying your name. Just stand there and smile? My smile IS dazzling, but it’s not THAT dazzling.
c) This feels bad. This feels too close to brown nosing. If I’m not doing it for my own personal interest, and feeling genuinely excited, it feels empty and power hungry.

Yet as an aspiring entrepreneur, I’m constantly getting the same advice. I understand that getting my name out there is good. It’s a good thing. But at the same time…I’m 19 years old. I live in a dorm. My main projects lately are digital paintings and deciding whether or not the rice crackers will last until budget refresh day. Yes, I do make up business plans in my notebooks, and I have one hell of a master plan going on deep in the laboratories but…right now, I feel like all I have to share with people is a little silly. I’m super excited about my plans and goals, but it seems petty to take up someone’s time with intangible rambles, especially when that someone has accomplished more than I have in my entire life. I know conceptualizing is valuable, and it’ll transmit the right message to the people who need to hear it, when they need to hear it, but…I have nothing to interest them yet. I have done the business equivalent of doodling, and I’m trying to show Rembrandts and DaVincis my little crayon drawings. I don’t look the part, and I feel like I haven’t earned the excited gushing about entrepreneurship because, duh, I haven’t done anything yet. And my hardboiled office experience amounts to, uh, going on one month of office assistant-ness?
I guess what I’m trying to say is I wish I could win the lottery so I could have my own little shop thing. Then I could be the one making people nervous with the slightest facial tic. ...I just invalidated my entire point. Awesome!

0 comments



Post a Comment